The European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity (ECPC) is inviting applications to fill up the position of Senior Lecturer/Assistant Professor, starting 1 April 2022.
The exact terms of employment will depend on the qualifications and experience of the candidate.
The European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity (ECPC), established under the Law Faculty of Maastricht University, offers executive education programmes closely intertwined with the centre’s applied research on legal issues related to personal data protection and cybersecurity. Since September 2021 ECPC offers a new Advanced Master in Privacy, Cybersecurity and Data Management. This programme offers an ambitious curriculum for professionals that bridges the intersection between law, technology, ethics, governance and management; it is against this background that ECPC is expanding.
To further strengthen and complement the expertise in our team, we are looking for an outstanding senior lecturer/ assistant professor in the area of cybersecurity and privacy. Possible focus areas for this position include, but are not limited to, software, hardware and network security; AI and cybersecurity; Information Security Management; cryptography, pseudonymisation techniques, data security and data protection by design, privacy-enhancing technologies. The candidate is required to possess substantial knowledge of the indicated matters from a technical perspective and an understanding of the legal compliance implications.
As senior lecturer/assistant professor in Cybersecurity and Privacy, you are expected to:
• Coordinate and teach courses in the area of cybersecurity and computer science in the Advanced Master programme which is targeting professionals
• Supervise master theses
• Significantly contribute to the performance and further development of the Advanced Master programme as well as other ECPC executive education programmes
• Acquire, coordinate and contribute to applied research projects in the domain of data security & privacy and related areas
The position offers considerable space for personal initiative and fulfilment.
The working language is English.
The preferred starting date is 1 April 2022 or as soon as possible thereafter.
The ideal candidate fulfils the following main requirements:
• PhD degree in the field of computer and information technology or a related field; with a thematic specialization in cybersecurity, information security and/or privacy and data protection; and a track record of scientific publications in the area;
• Experience and excellence in teaching whereby experience in teaching professionals is an asset;
• Experience with academic supervision (Master/PhD theses);
• Experience in applied research and a track record of obtaining research funding;
• A personality characterized by vision, work ethics and collaboration;
• Strong communication skills, including the ability to liaise with people from different organisations, i.e., academia, businesses, international organisations, institutions and governments;
• Keen to develop new projects and initiatives to support ECPC research, teaching activities and the related community of stakeholders;
• Excellent command of the English language (spoken & written);
• Knowledge of Dutch language is an asset;
• Possesses the University Teaching Qualification (Dutch: BKO) or equivalent, or are willing to acquire one within three years.
The exact terms of employment will depend on the qualifications and experience of the candidate. The appointment takes place either as a senior lecturer or as an assistant professor, dependent on the candidate’s profile and the needs of ECPC.
The salary depends on academic qualifications and experience. The salary will be set between the minimum gross monthly salary of €3,820 (salary scale 11.0) and a maximum gross monthly salary of €5,230 (salary scale 11.11), based on full-time employment, of the Collective Labour Agreement of the Dutch Universities. For people recruited from abroad, a reduced income tax rate may apply.
The terms of employment of Maastricht University are set out in the Collective Labour Agreement of Dutch Universities (CAO). Furthermore, local UM provisions also apply. For more information look at the website https://www.maastrichtuniversity.nl/
Maastricht University has attractive employment conditions, which include a pension scheme, holidays, holiday allowance and an end of year bonus.
Maastricht University is renowned for its unique, innovative, problem-based learning system, which is characterized by a small-scale and student-oriented approach. Research at UM is characterized by a multidisciplinary and thematic approach and is concentrated in research institutes and schools. Maastricht University has around 18,000 students and 4,300 employees. Reflecting the university's strong international profile, a fair amount of both students and staff are from abroad. The university hosts 6 faculties: Faculty of Health, Medicine and Life Sciences, Faculty of Law, School of Business and Economics, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences, Faculty of Psychology and Neuroscience.
ECPC – European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity
The European Centre on Privacy and Cybersecurity (ECPC), established under the Law Faculty of Maastricht University, offers executive education programmes closely intertwined with the Centre’s research on legal issues related to personal data protection and cybersecurity. A growing number of certified professionals are required to deal with new regulations and ongoing developments in the privacy and cybersecurity market. In order to meet this global demand, ECPC offers a complete track of regular practice-oriented DPO training and certification courses, a full diploma track on privacy management, conferences and seminars on emerging issues and challenges. From September 2021 ECPC offers a new Advanced Master in Privacy, Cybersecurity and Data Management. This two-year part-time programme offers an ambitious curriculum for professionals that bridges the intersection between law, technology, ethics, governance and management.
Applicants need to send a cv and a maximum 1-page motivation letter. Further information on the vacancy can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Applications need to be submitted before 1 March 2022.
Maastricht University is committed to nurturing an inclusive culture and a welcoming atmosphere. This inclusiveness strategy has resulted in a very diverse representation of nationalities and cultures. We strongly believe that diversity (including, but not limited to nationality, age and gender) of the staff and student population will increase the quality of UM education & research. Fostering diversity and inclusivity creates an academic community where individual talents thrive, and values and differences are cherished. We strongly encourage you to apply if you are qualified for this position.
In the last few years, cyber security has become more of a priority for all types of organisations than ever before.
The European Cybersecurity Competence Centre (ECCC), with the support of ECCO, launches “The Info Days”, a series of events to share information on important European calls and funding opportunities. The second event, organised in cooperation with the Swedish National Coordination Centre, will be held on 16 June 14:00 – 16:00 in Stockholm, as a side event of the Digital Assembly(15 – 16 June).