PANORAMIX is an EU H2020 project on privacy innovation aimed at providing privacy via mix-networks (mix-nets). The objective of PANORAMIX is the development of a multipurpose infrastructure for privacy-preserving communications based on mix-nets and its integration into high-value applications that can be exploited by European businesses.
The three applications targeted in the project are e-Voting, privacy-preserving statistics and messaging. Mix-nets protect not only the content of communications from third parties, but also obscure the exact identity of the senders or receivers of messages, through the use of cryptographic relays. Mix-nets are absolutely necessary for implementing strong privacy-preserving systems and protocols.
Who is the project designed for?
Stakeholders within PANORAMIX are the partners that are involved with the three use-cases in the project:
- GRNET - Robust and verifiable electronic voting system.
- SAP - Private analytics and big data collection.
- Greenhost/LEAP/CCT- Private messaging infrastructure.
How is your project benefitting the end-user?
The project will help people across Europe who use the Internet for private messaging, enabling them to communicate privately without third parties being able to track what is said or who is talking to whom.
It will also enable the development of e-voting, where anonymity is necessary to guarantee an organisation’s ballot or survey secrecy.
In addition, it will enable valuable anonymous big data collection, which can be used for useful real-life applications, such as real-time data-gathering to support monitoring of traffic movements in smart cities.
Please briefly describe the results your project achieved so far
The creation of a European mix network open-source codebase and infrastructure is well under way and is currently being used by the three high-value applications in the project: e-voting, statistics, and messaging.
What are the next steps for your project?
The next main steps for the project are:
- Making the mix-net framework publicly available.
- Further building an open source development community around the mix-net Panoramix framework.
- Creating a possible way to make the open-source infrastructure financially sustainable via financing using an ICO and a token-based economy for supporting the mix network.